Petition is a fancy word for prayer; and in the sacred arts we do a lot of prayer making. When someone commissions ritual work or orders a devotional candle one of my first questions is: what is your petition? What I have found over the years is that people often have a strong idea of what they want but they don’t know how to state it simply and with ease.
In my experience the most effective prayers are simple words, straight from the heart, and sharply focused on one single intention. That is the petition you want to write, that is the prayer you want to make. Here is one way to create it:
- What is the ONE most important thing to me about this situation/person/relationship/project/idea/dream?
- What is my biggest fear around this situation/person/relationship/project/idea/dream?
- What quality do I need to cultivate in myself to meet that fear head on?
Then, work with the following structure:
Dear/Blessed/Beloved (insert name of Deity, Cosmic Force, Nature, or Universe), my intention is that I (answer to the first question).
I recognize that I am afraid of (answer to the second question), and I ask/request/pray/believe that I will grow in (answer to the third question) so that my intention has, is, and will be fulfilled in the best possible/deepest/wisest/most beautiful way.
Amen/Thank you/So it is/It is done
For instance, say that I have decided to do a ritual around getting a new job. I will answer the above questions like so:
- The most important thing to me about the new job is that it fills my need for meaningful, lucrative work.
- My biggest fear is that I will not get the job.
- I need to cultivate the quality of courage.
Blessed Creator, my intention is that I obtain a lucrative new job that fills my need for meaningful work.
I recognize that I am afraid of not getting that job, and I believe that I will grow in courage so that my intention has, is, and will be fulfilled in the best possible way.
And so it is, was, and ever shall be.
That’s it! Easy, clean, and clear. Now go forth and petition your heart out!