esterday, we talked about WHO is an Ancestor and today I want to dive into the question of WHY we would choose to work with our Ancestors at all? Why do people do this work all over the world? Well, there are reasons: honor
• First and foremost because our legacy is connected to our lineage. This means, simply put that we can’t really think or feel into our future and what is possible for us and our people, if we are not in right relationship to our past and our lineage.
• Our Ancestors often see patterns and cycles that we might miss. Here we have one of the most traditional reasons for working with and honoring our Ancestors. They were called on for Divination purposes because they have an understanding of where we are and where we are headed that far exceeds our own.
• Our Ancestors often participated in patterns and cycles that we can see once we honor them. If you are doing any self development work you have probably come across ideas like “mindset” – certain attitudes that you may have about things like romance or money or success that actually, in the long run, limit your abilities.
Mindsets are often rooted in our lineage – our Ancestors had certain experiences that were traumatic (or were not able to have certain experiences that would have been uplifting and healing), and as a result, we have inherited attitudes, stories, and perspectives that are not necessarily helpful to us. When we begin Honoring our Ancestors we begin to understand what they experienced, why we react to things the way we do, and what unique healing is available to us.
• Our Ancestors inspire us. Working with our Ancestors can give us ideas, dreams, and goals that are inspirational and aspirational. Our Ancestors love us, they want our success and happiness and often remind us of the tools and talents we have at our disposal to make and do wonderful things.
• Our Ancestors can warn us. Just as Ancestors are viewed to have a much broader and truer sense of history, they are also understood to be able to foresee events that we need to be warned about or aware of.
• Honoring our Ancestors is polite. Finally, it is simply polite and good spiritual manners to identify and honor our Beloved Dead.
After all of that, it’s a much better idea to ask why we WOULDN’T want to honor our Ancestors!
So now the obvious question is HOW. HOW do we Honor Our Ancestors? Stay tuned because tomorrow I’ll be sending out that information!