M iracles — Welcome to another year’s Astro guide! This is a post you will want to book mark and be able to refer back to as it has many of the essential astro dates you need to know.
Let’s begin to dive into the astrology of 2023!
We will begin with the various phases of the moon, check out the solar ingresses for 2023, and then look at things like those pesky Mercury Retrograde periods, eclipses, and the highlights for both the inner and outer planets.
One thing that is different from previous years’ astro guides is that there are no questions or prompts to consider for each of the astrological events. In an effort to make this guide super user friendly and stream-lined we decided to ax the questions and longer explanations but fear not!
You can find all the prompts, questions, and detailed explanations for the events described below in the Planning by Starlight Planner!
If you want a taste of the planner, check out the pics sprinkled throughout this post! They are all created by Jacquelyn Tierney and they come from the 2023 version of Planning by Starlight!
Now, for those of you who are relatively new to Astrology, don’t worry. I keep this guide simple and straightforward so you can get a lot out of it. If you really love astrology, or enjoy learning more and more about how it works, then be sure to check out my book, Star Child: Joyful Parenting Through Astrology – which has a ton of great astro info and is relevant whether you have kids or not! And if you are ready to really put the stars to work for you, then do join The Fixed Stars Society…where I fix the stars to shine in your favor!
Please note that all times given are in central time. If you need help with timezone conversation go here.
The Many Faces of the Moon
- 1/6: Full Moon at 16 degrees Cancer, 5:07 PM
- 1/14: Waning Moon at 24 degrees Libra, 8:10 PM
- 1/21: New Moon at 1 degree Aquarius, 2:53 PM
- 1/28: Waxing Quarter Moon at 8 degrees Taurus, 9:19 AM
- 2/5: Full Moon at 16 degrees, Leo 12:28 PM
- 2/13 Waning Moon at 24 degrees Scorpio, 10:01 AM
- 2/20: New Moon at 1 degree Pisces, 1:06 AM
- 2/27: Waxing Quarter at 8 degrees Gemini, 3:05 AM
- 3/7: Full Moon at 16 degrees Virgo, 6:40 AM
- 3/14: Waning Quarter at 24 degrees Sagittarius, 9:08 PM
- 3/21: New Moon at 0 degrees Aries, 12:23 PM
- 3/28: Waxing Quarter at 8 degrees Cancer, 9:32 PM
- 4/5: Full Moon at 16 degrees Libra, 11:34 PM
- 4/13: Waning Quarter at 23 degrees Capricorn, 4:11 AM
- 4/19: New Moon at 29 degrees Aries, 11:12 PM – Solar Eclipse
- 4/27: Waxing Quarter Moon at 7 degrees Leo, 4:20 PM
- 5/5: Full Moon at 14 degrees Scorpio, 12:34 PM – Lunar Eclipse
- 5/12: Waning Quarter at 21 degrees Aquarius, 9:28 AM
- 5/19: New Moon at 28 degrees Taurus, 10:53 AM
- 5/27: Waxing Quarter Moon at 6 degrees Virgo, 10:22 AM
- 6/3: Full Moon at 13 degrees Sagittarius, 10:42 PM
- 6/10: Waning Quarter Moon at 19 degrees Pisces, 2:31 PM
- 6/17: New Moon at 26 degrees Gemini, 11:37 PM
- 6/26: Waxing Quarter Moon at 4 degrees Libra, 2:50 AM
- 7/3: Full Moon at 11 degrees Capricorn, 6:38 AM
- 7/9: Waning Quarter at 17 degrees Aries, 8:48 PM
- 7/17: New Moon at 24 degrees Cancer, 1:31 PM
- 7/25: Waxing Quarter Moon at 2 degrees Scorpio at 5:07 PM
- 8/1: Full Moon at 9 degrees Aquarius, 1:31 PM
- 8/8: Waning Quarter Moon at 15 degrees Taurus, 5:28 AM
- 8/16: New Moon at 23 degrees Leo, 4:38 AM
- 8/24: Waxing Quarter Moon at 1 degree Sagittarius, 4:57 AM
- 8/30: Full Moon at 7 degrees Pisces, 8:35 PM
- 9/6: Waning Quarter at 14 degrees Gemini, 5:21 PM
- 9/14: New Moon at 21 degrees Virgo, 8:39 PM
- 9/22: Waxing Quarter Moon at 29 degrees Sagittarius at 2:32 AM
- 9/29: Full Moon at 6 degrees Aries, 4:57 PM
- 10/6: Waning Quarter Moon at 13 degrees Cancer at 8:47 PM
- 10/14: New Moon at 21 degrees Libra, 12:55 PM – Solar Eclipse
- 10/21: Waxing Quarter Moon at 28 degrees Capricorn at 10:29 PM
- 10/28: Full Moon at 5 degrees Taurus, 3:24 PM – Lunar Eclipse
- 11/5: Waning Quarter at 12 degrees Leo at 2:37 AM
- 11/13: New Moon at 20 degrees Scorpio, 3:27 AM
- 11/20: Waxing Quarter Moon at 27 degrees Aquarius, 4:50 AM
- 11/27: Full Moon at 4 degrees Gemini, 3:16 PM
- 12/4: Waning Quarter at 12 degrees Virgo, 11:49 PM
- 12/12: New Moon at 20 degree Sagittarius, 5:32 PM
- 12/19: Waxing Quarter Moon at 27 degrees Pisces, 12:39 PM
- 12/26: Full Moon at 4 degrees Cancer, 6:23 PM
Lunar and Solar Eclipses in 2023
There are four eclipses in 2023, they occur in the signs of Aries, Scorpio, Libra, and Taurus. You can learn more about eclipses and how to work with them here. In short, I have found that eclipses are very useful for breaking long-held patterns of thought, behavior, attitude, and action that no longer serve.
If you want to truly optimize your eclipse experience then join the Fixed Stars Society where we make Eclipse Magic every single time an eclipse rolls around.
- 4/19: Solar Eclipse at 29 degrees Aries at 11:12 PM
- 5/15: Lunar Eclipse at 14 degrees Scorpio at 12:34 PM
- 10/14: Solar Eclipse at 21 degrees Libra at 12:55 PM
- 11/8: Lunar Eclipse at 5 degrees Taurus at 3:24 PM
Mercury Retrogrades for 2023
Every planet has retrograde periods but most people are only familiar with Mercury Retrograde – mostly because many astrologers and non-astrologers alike make this period out to be terrible, full of bad luck, and extremely frustrating. It can be, but I prefer to practice with Mercury retrograde instead of in resistance to it.
You can learn more about Mercury retrograde in my Mercury RX archives here and check out this article to start to get a sense of how you might deepen your retrograde experience. If you are what I call Mercury-sensitive you will want to make a note of the things to do BEFORE Mercury goes retrograde and join the Fixed Stars Society where we always engage with the Mercury RX Survival Kit.
In 2023 all of the Mercury Retrogrades all occur completely in Earth signs with the single exception being the final retrograde period of the year in December, which sees Mercury dip into Sagittarius before stationing direct on January 1st 2024.
For a detailed write up on what the Mercury Retrogrades have in store for us make sure you snag the Planning By Starlight Planner!
Here are the dates for the 2023 Mercury Retrogrades:
December 29th 2022 – January 18th 2023: Retrograde starts at 3:31 AM in Capricorn at 24 degrees., Mercury stations direct on January 18th at 7:11 AM in Capricorn at 8 degrees.
April 21st – May 14th 2023: Retrograde starts at 3:34 AM in Taurus at 15 degrees. Mercury stations direct on May 14th at 10:16 PM in Taurus at 5 degrees.
August 23rd 2023 – September 15th 2023: Retrograde starts at 2:59 PM in Virgo at 21 degrees. Mercury stations direct on September 15th at 3:21 PM in Virgo at 8 degrees.
December 13th 2023 – January 1st 2024: Retrograde starts at 1:09 AM in Capricorn at 8 degrees. Mercury stations direct on January 1st at 9:07pm in Sagittarius at 22 degrees.
For more on Mars Retrograde please see this article.
Venus Retrograde: July 22nd 2023 – September 3rd 2023 Venus Retrograde begins at 8:32 PM in Leo at 28 degrees, and stations direct on September 3rd at 8:20 PM in Leo at 12 degrees.
For more on Venus Retrograde please see this article.
Outer Planet Amazement: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto
Jupiter in Aries and Taurus: Battle Fronts and Farms
Jupiter in Aries
May 10th – October 28th, 2022 ~ Jupiter enters Aries at 6:22pm and departs on October 28th at 12:10 AM,
December 20th 2022 – May 17th 2023 ~ Jupiter enters Aries on December 20th at 8:32 AM and remains in Aries until May 17th, 2023.
Jupiter in Taurus
May 16th 2023 – May 25th 2024 ~ Jupiter enters Taurus at 11:19 AM and remains in Taurus until May 25th 2024.
Jupiter Retrograde: There is a Jupiter Retrograde in 2023 in the sign of Taurus.September 4th – December 30th 2023: Retrograde starts at 9:10 AM in Taurus at 15 degrees. Jupiter stations direct on December 30th at 8:40 PM in Taurus at 5 degrees.
For more on Jupiter Retrograde, please see this article.
Saturn in Aquarius and Pisces: Science and Spirituality
Saturn in Aquarius
December 18th, 2020 – March 8th, 2023
Saturn in Pisces
March 7th, 2023 – May 24th 2025 and September 1st 2025 – February 13th 2026
Saturn Retrograde: There is a Saturn Retrograde in 2023 in the sign of Pisces.
June 17th 2023 – November 4th, 2023: Retrograde starts at 12:27 PM in Pisces at 7 degrees. Saturn stations direct on November 4th at 2:02 AM in Pisces at 2 degrees.
For more on how to work with Saturn Retrograde, refer to this article.
Uranus in Taurus: Little Earthquakes
March 7th 10:28 AM – July 7th 2025 and November 7th 2025 – April 25th 2026
For more on Uranus in Taurus, see this article and offering.
Uranus Retrograde: There is a Uranus Retrograde in 2023 in the sign of Taurus.
August 28th 2023 – January 26th 2024: Retrograde begins at 9:38 PM in Taurus at 23 degrees. Uranus stations direct on January 26that 10:47 PM in Taurus at 19 degrees.
For more on Uranus Retrograde, see this article.
Neptune in Pisces: Sail Away
April 4th 2011 – March 30th 2025
Neptune Retrograde: There is a Neptune Retrograde in 2022.
June 28th, 2022 – December 3rd, 2022: Retrograde starts at 2:55 AM and stations direct on December 3rd at 6:15 PM.
For more on Neptune Retrograde, see this article.
Pluto in Capricorn and Aquarius: Climb and Summit
Pluto in Capricorn
January 25th 2008 – March 23rd 2023
June 11th 2023 – January 19th 2024
September 2nd 2024 – November 18th 2024
Pluto in Aquarius
March 23rd 2023 – June 11th 2023
January 20th 2024 – September 1st 2023
November 19th 2024 – March 8th 2043
May 1st 2023 – October 10th, 2023: Retrograde begins at 12:08 PM in Aquarius at 0 degrees and stations direct on October 10th at 8:09 PM in Capricorn at 27 degrees.
For more on Pluto Retrograde see this article.
Here is wishing you all an incredible 2023!
Remember, for the full scoop on not just what is happening in the heavens but what it all MEANS, you will want to join me for the Stars, Cards, and Numbers class (participants all score a Collector’s Edition of Planning By Starlight).
And for those of you who want to know not just what the astrology of 2023 means but also what you can do about it to make the stars favor YOU. well then you need to join me in the Fixed Stars Society.